As a mom of young kids, it’s SO nice having meals in the freezer ready to pull out and thaw for dinner. If you are pregnant, I recommend making and freezing whenever you can so you’ll have plenty of food on hand when the baby comes. When the baby arrives, you aren’t going to feel like preparing a real meal for a while. Even if you are lucky enough to have family or friends bring you food, that won’t last forever.
Make some meals that can be eaten standing up, or with one arm holding a baby. Freeze portions for family dinner, but also just for you to have lunch. Don’t forget about snacks and breakfast!
Buying a FoodSaver vacuum sealer changed my life. Seriously! This was especially helpful when we lived in a small place and the space-saving benefit of vacuum sealed bags was crucial. Here are some easy to prep meals and snacks that I like to make in bulk and freeze for later.
- Banana Blueberry Muffins
- Egg Hash Brown Cups
- Crock Pot: Chicken, Salsa, Beans & Corn (dump ingredients in and cook)
- Chicken or Turkey Lettuce Wrap Filling (I omit the cornstarch)
- Butternut Squash Soup
- Squash and Black Bean Enchiladas with Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- Cheesy butternut squash sauce (from squash mac & cheese) to put on pasta later
- Turkey meatballs (I add: grated apple, grated onion, cooked quinoa, and ricotta!)
- Sundried Quinoa Patties (individually wrapped before frozen)
Snacks & Desserts
If you are planning to breastfeed, make food that helps support a healthy breastmilk supply and your insatiable appetite!
- Lactation Cookies
- Oatmeal Muffins
Non-Freezer Make-Ahead Snacks
- Homemade Granola ~I’ll post a recipe soon