Waistband Extender • Belly Butter • Support Tank • Non-Toxic Nail Polish • S’well Bottle
Pregnancy can be super exciting, but also overwhelming, uncomfortable and stressful. For me, it was all of those things, and more, at the same time. If you are newly pregnant and looking for things to help with comfort/sleep/health or want to get a gift for a pregnant loved one, here are some things that are must haves for pregnant women!
Body Pillows ∙∙∙ Sleep is so important, and often difficult when you are pregnant. Using a body pillow can help you with back support and comfort when sleeping. A body pillow transformed my sleep during both pregnancies, and I still use it when I’m not pregnant!
Snoogle | Back ‘N Belly Contoured | Maternity Contoured U-Shape | PharMeDoc Maternity
Exercise / Balance Ball ∙∙∙ This is so useful when you’re pregnant and once your baby arrives! You can use it to help stay in shape and improve your posture when pregnant, and it is wonderful for soothing a baby (especially if your baby is colicky!). I like the Baby Bump because it is specifically made for pregnant women, new moms, and babies. It is safe: 100% Phthalate, BPA & Latex Free.
Do Chocolate Lovers Have Sweeter Babies? ∙∙∙ This was my favorite pregnancy book. The author answers questions you won’t find in traditional pregnancy books, or hear from your doctor. She goes beyond the basics to some really fun and interesting topics, for example:
∙ Does stress sharpen your baby’s mind—or dull it?
∙ Why are babies born in the darker months of the year more likely to grow up to be novelty-loving risk takers?
∙ How can the cells left behind by your baby affect you years later?
Waistband Extender ∙∙∙ Using a hair band works as well, but buying something specially made for this purpose is much more likely to stay in place!
∙ On that note, you may want to get a bra extender as well. If the cup sizes fit but the band is getting a little too tight, these make wearing the bra more comfortable! They also help extend the life of your bra because you won’t stretch it out.
Belly Butter ∙∙∙ Supposedly this helps prevent stretch marks. Be sure you are using one that is free from toxic chemicals! You can always check the safety of your beauty products on EWG’s Skin Deep site.
Nail Polish ∙∙∙ Most nail polish contains several toxic chemicals that are known carcinogens and hormone disruptors. These chemicals are associated with infertility, respiratory problems, thyroid disorders, neurological issues and some types of cancer. The Environmental Working Group and Duke University, conducted a study and found that toxic chemicals found in nail polish can be detected in the bloodstream just two hours after nail polish was applied. Here are some nail polish options that are free of at least five of these toxic chemicals.:
- Aila ∙∙∙ Aila is an 8-free nail polish. That’s probably why it is so pricey! But I love the look and the ingredients!
- Scotch Naturals ∙∙∙ Scotch Naturals works well if you use their base coat and top coat. This polish is free of the 3 most harmful ingredients in traditional nail polish.
- Jenna Hipp ∙∙∙ Jenna Hipp nail polish is a 5-free polish, meaning it does not contain formaldehyde, formaldehyde resin, toluene, dibutyl phthalate, or camphor. Lately Jenna Hipp has been coming up as unavailable on Amazon, so I order mine through my Thrive Market subscription. It’s reasonably priced, goes on just like traditional nail polish and it doesn’t have that yucky chemical smell.
- Sophie ∙∙∙ This is another polish I can get through my Thrive Market subscription. According to their description on that site, “Better than 3 Free, better than 5 Free, SOPHi is a natural nail polish that is non-toxic, odorless, and hypoallergenic.”
- Zoya ∙∙∙Zoya is a 3-free nail polish that you can get on Amazon.
- LVX ∙∙∙ LVX is a 5-free nail polish. It’s at the much higher end in terms of price.
- Acquarella ∙∙∙ This is another expensive brand, but they are non-toxic and have a great color selection.
- Sundays ∙∙∙ Sundays nail polish is 10-free, nontoxic, cruelty-free, and vegan. I don’t know anyone who has tried this one, but the fact that it’s 10-free makes it appealing!
- Suncoat ∙∙∙ Suncoat has nail polish that is water-based and toluene and formaldehyde-free.
Water Bottle ∙∙∙ You want to stay hydrated when growing a tiny human! I love S’well bottles because they keep cold drinks cold, and hot drinks hot. S’well bottles come in many different designs and sizes.
The bkr glass bottle with silicone sleeve is another great non-toxic option.
Other Nice-to-Have Items
• Shiatsu Neck and Back Massager ∙∙∙ Give yourself a shiatsu massage in the comfort of your home!
• Foot and Calf Massager ∙∙∙ for those aching feet!
• Nausea Remedies ∙∙∙ ginger candies, ginger lollipops, dried ginger
• A bra that fits! ∙∙∙
• Prenatal Vitamins or Supplements ∙∙∙
• Pregnancy Tracker Apps ∙∙∙ It’s really fun to see weekly updates on your phone that show how big your baby is, and where he/she is in terms of development.
• Pregnancy Journal ∙∙∙
• Childbirth books ∙∙∙ If needed. These are particularly helpful if you are going to attempt an epidural-free labor and delivery.
• Wrist Braces ∙∙∙ If carpal tunnel is something you struggle with during pregnancy, sleeping with wrist braces will help so much!